Friday 6 July 2007

Crazeee!!!

With the lovely (freakish?) spring-like weather we've been having lately, my mind has turned to - sewing! (And printmaking, but that's a whole 'nother can o' worms.)


I found this lot at a shop I've never been to before, and probably couldn't find again unless I needed a car window replaced and had 45 minutes to wander aimlessly round an industrial area. Must've been the sugar rush caused by the strawberry Fanta*, but I came over all dizzy and bought tons.

Now I know nothing about sewing, but surely it's possible to turn those into something like this?
Without having to (shudder) put zips in? Can I just fold the fabric in half, sew up the sides and cut holes for my head and arms? And then add some darts fairly haphazardly? And then (yes, mom) bind the edges very very neatly?

I used to wear things like this when I was still in Doc Martens, but I didn't have a mirror then and I didn't care. And my hair was pretty distracting.


*Haven't tried it yet? It's the ultimate in Red Juice.

4 comments:

Cristina Salgueiro said...

that was the cutes description of how to make a dress chop chop:)
have a nice weekend

AMCSviatko said...

Fantastic haul - I love the brown rose fabric!

I think you'd be OK for the dress as long as you don't expect it to be too fitted. I has a similar style in linen years ago which had buttons down the side seam which I never undid. No zip, you could just pull it on and off and it was perfect for very hot days.

kathryn said...

i made a dress like this last year and its easy to pull on over my head but i did feel that it needed a sash round the waist to be the right side of cute / frumpy. i did find the whole exercise *so* much more stressful than knitting though - there's no unravelling once you cut a fabric - and all that machinery - gah ! good luck let us know how you get on.

Heather Moore said...

Nice haul! Roses also my fave here.
Strawberry Fanta!!? Messin' with the classics.