Tuesday 9 October 2007

Basket bag trial (and errors)


When I was growing up, some of the most interesting things in my mom's wardrobe were things she'd kept from when she was growing up. One item that fascinated me was a little drawstring bag with a basket at the bottom.

I took a bag of old clothes to the charity shop the other day, and discovered a great source for odd little baskets! So this is my first attempt at a basket bag. The print is a linocut of a jasmine leaf.

Too much thought (and not enough) went into the construction of the casing for the drawstring. I desperately wanted top-stitching on the outside, and the bag to be lined, and slits at the sides; so it's pretty thick and doesn't close tightly. But my mom's searching through boxes for her little bag to send to me. With that as an example, and the mistakes I made on this one, I should be able to figure out a better version.

3 comments:

Heather Moore said...

It's such a great idea. Have you seen that bag going around the design blogs that's like a wellington boot sole? Same idea, but I think the basket/fabric combo is more pleasing. Good luck with perfecting this - it's fantastic already.

Denise Kiggan said...

What a lovely idea! Quirky and Fresh!

Ansley Bleu said...

Ooh, this is super cute. Great idea.a