Friday 27 March 2009

Oh, um, of course ...


A big giant huge overwhelming wholesale order had me in a bit of a tizz, which made me stop and think, despite myself - run around in small enough circles for long enough, you'll eventually realise you're not really moving!

The thought of printing more than enough fabric, then cutting it up and sewing it, was debilitating... until it dawned on me: cut out the pieces first, be sure there are enough, and then print them. Duh! Suddenly the whole thing turned into quite a pleasure, working through little organised piles of stuff, rearranging them, putting things aside on the 'finished' pile. I played around with prints and colours, coming up with new ones too. I'm making enough for the order, and a few extra, so there'll be a shop update next week.

This article on how your brain comes up with good ideas sort of explains why panicking to the point of paralysis helps you think. And why panicking isn't really necessary.

6 comments:

Jan said...

Congratulations on the wholesale order!! Glad you figured out a way to make it work - better late than never!

Masha said...

thanks for the link! Very interesting. I wrote a post about it, as it has some troubling implications for teachers...

Wendren said...

Good luck with the order. It is always nice to get them but they do add stress.

sue bulmer said...

Wow, congrats on the masseeeve order!! Thanks also for the comments you left on my blog, i just got a bit disheartened when I saw that other work. I'm full of new ideas after my jolly holliday, so world watch out!!! Ha, does that sound good?? Am enjoying my birds so watch this space for my new ideas

Susan Scott said...

great idea - printing out the parts. It's the hand-printing of large areas that creates panic in me. then I realized that was a legitimate response!

Heather Moore said...

Well done for the massive order! Looking forward to seeing the results. Very exciting stuff!