Monday 6 April 2009

Card box


This little recipe box had to come home with me from the secondhand shop, but I couldn't think of a practical use for it until I saw Cicada Daydream's business card holder. Sticking cards in between recipes means I get to file people under 'Luncheon' or 'Pies' or 'Biscuits'. Which is funny, to me at least.

(Just so you know, the box is sitting on the new Post Office Rates book. I'll be raising shipping costs on some items in my shop by about 50c. US cents, that is. )

The recipes all call for Royal Baking-Mix, which is a mixture of flour, baking powder, salt and cooking fat that you're supposed to make up and store in a tin, ready to use whenever you need to bake treats. I can't imagine anyone baking often enough to use this mixture before it turns rancid, but this little kit was clearly used. It comes with recipe cards, cellophane sleeves to keep them clean, and blank cards for your own recipes. Apparently you could also get new recipes every month from Royal Baking Powder in Paarl. Tempting treats like this:


Or you could clip likely-looking candidates out of magazines to paste onto the blank cards.


Instructions, too, just in case.

8 comments:

Ursula said...

I love this idea! How do you decide? Do you try to match personalities, or even what people look like? You know, like how some people look like their pets?

And I think that the last image is so great, especially with the star. I would love a poster or print of this; it could be the next "Keep Calm" poster rage!

Elv Freiheit said...

That box is really cute and your business card idea is brilliant! Love it!

kat said...

Love your new addition. And greatly amused by the proposed filing system. Suggest a section called 'hors d'oeuvres' where you file people with whom you can only manage small talk :)

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

Cute little box! Perfectly sweet.

Denise Kiggan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Denise Kiggan said...

I can remember my mom making that Royal Baking Mix! I love your application of the recipe box!
I like Kat's suggestion - and can think of other sections too - Mains fo the heavy weights, Antipasta for Italian contacts and Take Aways for'next stop the dustbin'!

Jesse said...

Great suggestions! I'll implement them all, I think. I started off filing people under what I thought they'd like to eat.

lauren fowler said...

oh wow! that's fantastic!I'm going to give you my card to put in there..I'd like to be a pie..^_^