From a 1964 Stitchcraft pattern, using wool I found at a secondhand shop.
Another shot, just to emphasize the extreme sparkliness of it all, and the perfectly shiny buttons.
The pattern, and the wool. You'll understand why I didn't try to recreate the photo. I left out the bobbles on the sleeves and the fronts - even I thought that might be just a bit too much!
The wool, just for the sceptics out there. It really is wool.
I finally came up with a good rationalisation for not blocking things before I sew them together: it's in case I don't like it, and have to make something else from the wool. But I need to wear the garment a little before I can be sure. And then, when I wash it, voila! It's blocked.