Thursday 29 April 2010

Pink Owls. Bad Owls.


The famous Owls! (that's a link to the pattern, by the way).

I knitted this last year, in knobbly cream wool. I got gauge, but the knitted fabric was a little too stiff for my liking... but never mind, the wool was a gift, there seemed to be enough, and I really needed something warm. All the balls of wool looked the same, at least until they were knitted up, when suddenly they revealed startlingly different shades. After knitting and unravelling and reknitting the equivalent of three of these jerseys, just to get the colour changes to sit in less obvious places, I didn't care that the finished thing was a tad tight under the arms. It was very very warm.

Wool, of course, isn't that easy to wash and dry in mid-winter, and cream, in case you're considering it, is not a good colour for something with long cuffs. Specially when you spend most of your days slouched over lino blocks - when you straighten up eventually, you might find ghastly grubby stripes across your torso.

So (gulp) I dyed the thing. Red, actually, but now it's pink. And slightly felted, and even tighter under the arms. Some twisting and turning is needed to get into it, but once I'm in, it's still warm. The most important thing. And it will look fine under other things. I might even cut slits under the arms.

7 comments:

ADKnits said...

I feel your pain! I can't count how many times I've knitted something that was almost perfect. After putting all the time in to create it, I'm usually determined to make it work!

Denise Kiggan said...

What a good idea! Much of my wardrobe is dyed! I love it! I also battle to get the red to be a true red, but it does turn out a pleasing salmony colour!

Dee said...

it turned out very cute for all the trouble it gave you.

Anonymous said...

I love your story, and your sweater. Brave girl!! and under-arm vents may be a very, very good thing. I think I might have given up on the second go-round.

Pinktulip said...

I had a good chuckle reading this post, mostly because something similar has happened to most of us! Is there actually RED dye out there? It always somes out some shade of pink anyway...At least you can still get into your jersey! I have shrunk one 100% cotton top (I have only warn once and still too scared to fit on and see if I can still wear it!); a gorgeous 100% wool cardigan I bought in the US (can now fit a child of 8!) and my coveted pink cashmere top (from Queenspark and not cheap!), all in the last 6 months! (There might be a few others hidden away too...) You'd think I would know better?!

The Comfort Café said...

That's hilarious! It sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to me, that I would do to solve it. And then wonder if it was actually solved! Love the pink though :)

Britney said...

That sweater is so cute! I love the owls