Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Winners! and Developments


I used a random number generator to decide the winners of my ribbon giveaway: Snooglerat, seamsoeasy, and Fulvia! Thanks so much to everyone who entered - it was really interesting (and useful) to find out what you'd use the ribbons for.

As for the picture, that's the first fat quarter I've printed. I've had a few requests for these, and have been wanting to get on it - I think my new patterns would be great for quilting, in particular.

I managed to track down fabric I thought would be good for quilting (dense but light pure cotton) and set about figuring out how to print it. The problem (challenge?) is that my new patterns are designed on a grid - a grid that I create by folding the fabric. This works perfectly for the cushion covers, but fat quarters are just too big. This means drawing up the grid on the fabric. Which means rinsing it after curing to wash the watersoluble pen out. Which means drying the fabric again. Currently, what with winter all around, everything seems to take about 4 days to dry....

So, not an insurmountable problem, but it is slowing things down a bit. Expect fat quarters in the shop ... soonish. (I also got my hands on a bit of linen that I'm sure is going to print beautifully!)

9 comments:

Alisa said...

Ooh, the linen will look wonderful! Can wait to see it.

flowerpress said...

I have a clover marker that just marks creases, basically a pointy piece of plastic, that might help?

Yna said...

Hi,
I find your blog, while I am looking for fabrics of South Africa. I like your pattern. And of course your blog. I've been 3 times in South Africa and of course in Cape Town. Like everything there. I think, I'll visit your blog often now.
Greetings from Germany

tjou-tjou said...

} ag nee ek het dit gemis :( jou patroon is pragtig.

The Handmaden said...

Hi Jesse,
I'm a long time admirer of your prints and have inspired me to try lino blocks. I am using water based ink with a roller but am finding the quality of print very poor. I've tried a variety of fabrics and different coloured inks but no improvement. When I roll the ink onto the block it has ripples and gives terrible coverage, so I tried a sponge which is a bit better. Am I missing something that will make the prints better?
I hope you don't mind me asking this here - it's really hard to get information from books or the internet on printing fabric with lino blocks.
Many thanks!

Jesse said...

Have a look under the 'Tutorials' label on the right - I've written a few about printing, which might help. Sponge is definitely better for water-based ink. Densely woven smooth fabric will probably pick up the ink ripples more than a looser weave, so perhaps it's just a matter of experimenting till you find the right combination. Good luck!

The Handmaden said...

Thanks for the reply Jesse, an artist contact yesterday recommended that I get a foam roller for water based ink - she said the rubber rollers are formulated for oil based lino ink. As you say, experimentation is needed!
Thanks again - both for the information and for the inspiration :)

The Handmaden said...

Me again (don't worry, I'm not stalking you!), just wanted to let you know I tried a foam roller and am now getting good results.
Thanks again!

Jesse said...

Good to hear!