Tuesday 16 July 2013

Packaging Lesson



A few months ago I was selling so much ribbon that I couldn't keep up with the printing. My packaging for the little parcels of ribbon was a bit fiddly: each length of ribbon wound round a printed card, secured with a length of twine. Very fiddly when you're in a rush.

To save time (and my nerves) I simplified the packaging. Folded the ribbon on itself, one long stitch of thread all the way through to hold the bundle in place, and a tag tied to it. And bam! No more sales.

Previously, at markets, customers had exclaimed "Ribbon!" when they'd picked up the cards. Now they kept asking me what these were. So it was time to look critically at the packaging again.


Of the three new solutions I came up with, the one closest to my original is the best, even though it's still fiddly. Something about it just says haberdashery.



6 comments:

Nat at Made in Home said...

I love that packaging (and the ribbon). Looks ally vintage with the font.

Jane McLellan said...

That's really interesting. Who would've believed the packaging was so important?

Cristina Salgueiro said...

Package is very important indeed!!!
I like the one chosen by you, but i fell in love by the one with the fake button, cute!

Denise Kiggan said...

Thanks for sharing that interesting observation!
Luckily you knew it had a history as a good seller :-)

Jenny said...

I've always loved the ribbon. Could you use a small straight pin to secure the ribbon to the card? That's how I store my ribbon, when I'm organized enough to wrap it around a card...

karrie said...

I haven't stopped by the blog in a while. My your ribbon is lovely. it might be the perfect thing to go with this hoodie pattern http://jamiechristina.com/products/sol-hoodie-e-pattern