Thursday 9 August 2007

Time for something different

Today's Women's Day, and a public holiday, which means the internet is fast (because all you office workers are at home), and I can catch up on blogging quickly.

Yesterday I was treated to the most amazing massage at a very swanky spa, because someone thought I needed to relax. (Thank you!) I was so relaxed afterwards that I needed 2 cups of coffee in quick succession before I could even think about working - it just didn't seem important.

I took the chance of being out of my studio to nip into the Cafda bookshop. It's a bit of an obsession; Cafda sell donated books for next-to-nothing, and it's a goldmine of old craft books. I feel like I'm rescuing these books. Not so lucky with the knitting books yesterday, I think someone with the same idea had been there before me. In fact, I'm sure, because I did find a rather nice knitting book 'hidden' under some sewing magazines....

Anyway, I came away with this book on 'Cardboard Modelling' published in 1927.


Look at the writing, it's so beautifully handdrawn!

Also found this. The toys are not that great, but the cover is lovely.


And this drawing inside made it totally worth the R5 price.


Finally, the cover of a 1951 edition of Lorna Doone. Pretty!


I have to admit, reluctantly, that the 'all work and no play blah blah blah' thing might be true. But it's time for me to get back to work. If I owe you an email, I'm sorry, I will reply sometime soon. And I will be back to look at all your blogs too.

20 pages to go and then it is done!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that Lorna Doone cover is fantastic... as are the 'thread & scissors' illo and the cardboard modelling instructions. What a great haul!

Heather Moore said...

Yay! Sounds like you had a very good day. What a great friend to look after you like that.
Nice things - must vote for the cowboy repeat book cover too. Really marvellous, and nice to see how a very close repeat like that can work very well.
See you soon
heather

Christopher de Beer said...

second-hand bookshops are the best. one can find all sorts of cool things