Monday 13 October 2008

Months in the making


From a Vogue Knitting pattern* (the original had long sleeves). Made with Mystery Yarn: very thin, on a cone, used double, and made in the 70s if the label is anything to go by. Why so long? Let's see... the right front had to be done twice because I forgot to change needles after the ribbing, one of the sleeves had to be done twice because I forgot how the decreases on the armholes had been done and made up my own, and after sewing up the body was too long and I had to chop off the ribbing and knit it again. Oh, and the button band was done a few times: once in the car on the way to a wedding (emergency winter wedding wear) and it came out too wide and therefore frilly, once because I'd chopped off the ribbing, and then once again because the buttonholes were too big. I suspect I've used these buttons upside down, but the backs are nicer than the fronts.


I'm not entirely sold on the bobbles that run all the way down the sleeves, but this thing took so long to make that I'm going to wear it anyway. And my niece likes trying to pull them off!

*Vogue Knitting Winter 2005/06, an Anna Sui design.

7 comments:

Sasha said...

Lovely. Inquiring minds want to know...which Vogue pattern?

Cristina Salgueiro said...

Still it is lovely. It doesn't matter how long it took you to make it, or how many times you frog it, what matters is that you like it, and you fell confortable with it. Love the bottons, they are so retro ( in a good way), i realy don't know if i'm saying the rigth word. no diccionary here today ;)

Lori said...

Beautiful sweater! Worth all that effort I would say.

AMCSviatko said...

Is purdy...

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

You have lots of patience! It paid off.

wazz said...

beautiful - I heart bobbles. And that mystery yarn is a fantastic colour.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful - despite, or maybe because of, all the extra effort involved. And I'm with wazz - the colour is fantastic!