Wednesday 25 February 2009

More flies


This is where yesterday's flies came from. (Sorry about the shine on the print - it's too big to scan!) It's not the final print, but a proof close to final. The shadows on the knees were softened a bit, I remember. As usual, I pulled one final print, handed it in, and moved on to the next thing. And now I can't find the print.


It's the last big woodblock I did, partly because you need a press to pull prints that big, and partly because it took such a long time to carve. After a month of chipping I was a bit sick of woodblocks. It's called 'Safe Sex' - I'm not really sure why.... I was 23 at the time, so perhaps I was feeling a tad angsty. (I was a teenager until well into my 20's.)

4 comments:

Billy said...

This print is so beautiful (and this is said by someone who does NOT like flies). Love how expressive the legs are. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this Jesse. My hand aches just imagining all the carving that must have gone into this ;) What is the size of the print? You say big, and I'm wondering "how big'?

painted fish studio said...

really fascinating, i'm in awe. where did you find the patience, at age 23, to carve, carve, carve? i get so ansty, i need instant gratification...

Anonymous said...

This is a virtuoso bit of woodblock carving! And a highly disturbing image. I love it!
I also think your fly pillow cases are fantastic - the stark contrast between the fat, black flies and the delicate, pastel flowers creates a real sense of unease... but is also very humorous. Brilliant idea!