Friday 11 December 2009

It's progress, of sorts


On a course the other day I noticed that the girl sitting next to me had a really nifty pencil case. I borrowed it and started scribbling optimistic plans. Today I tried to decode them, only to realise that I had it all wrong. It took me most of the day, and several paper models, to come up with something close to the original.


The bulk of my 'craft skills' are actually Google skills, and I'm sure there's a tutoral or a pattern for something like this out there somewhere, but today I failed. You'd think 'curved zipper pouch pattern' would do it, but no. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm mostly happy with what I made, but I do want to be able to make a lined version, and I definitely want to have a formula for the pattern, rather than pinching fabric and guessing where the seams should go. Oh, and I really want to be able to use the length of the zip as a starting point for calculations, because trying to measure a curved seam doesn't make me happy.

6 comments:

Denise Kiggan said...

I love having a glimpse at the process you have gone through! Sorry no helpful hints from me though!

And So I Whisper said...

It looks really nice! I will look on my Japanese bag books to see if I can find something and let you know :-)

Anja said...

Perhaps something like this:http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=84556.10

and then just shortening the height?

Anonymous said...

Paper Models, hun? Oh the inspiration!! I waste fabric-- actually I always believe the first one will be perfect, I am such a fool!!!! Love the pouch..

Fox & Locket said...

The bane of the curved zip! Have a look at www.sew-whats-new.com; the folks on there know a lot about sewing! Do you want both the top and bottom piece to curve or just the top piece?

Greta

Mette said...

If you don't find a usable pattern elsewhere I will gladly offer my pattern making skills!