Tuesday 4 December 2012

It gets messy


Another great post on Pikaland about creating your own opportunities. A good read if you're feeling a little defeated.

I'm a great one for dipping my toe in, making a tiny bit of an effort, and then flailing about in despair because "It's not working!" I do a few drawings, and expect an immediate reaction. I don't get it, and so I stop. Maybe try something else.

And then I'm always surprised when something does start working. There are a few things I doggedly stick with, even though there's no evidence they're good ideas - or little evidence beyond my own convictions. I'm not even sure why I'm carrying on - no better ideas, usually. And then these things get noticed, pretty much at the point when I'm so over them I'm embarrassed that I'm still doing them.

Things take a lot longer than you think they will. Particularly if you keep stopping.

9 comments:

andrea Mckeen said...

All I can politely ask is that you please get out of my head because that is exactly what goes on in there !! ;)
Great post Jesse, off to check out the link and related article ..

Susan Scott said...

I am so glad that I am not alone!

lamina@do a bit said...

Such a great post by Pikaland! One just has to get in there and do the hard yards hey! :)

Heloise said...

I so get this post Jesse! Tks for the link.

Billy said...

I feel the same! And when I need to take a big step (like calling an art director, for instance), I procrastinate and procrastinate.

(am working on that one)

Hugs!

Claudia/Ompompali said...

Ah yes! I know what you're talking about. I should know myself better by now but I keep on falling into the same trap! Thanks for sharing and love from Germany

Marisa said...

Also really relating to this!

Amy@Pikaland said...

Thanks for the shout out Jesse! I'm guilty of that too sometimes – so you're definitely not alone. :)

Jennifer M. said...

Ugghhh… I can so relate to this. I tend to get very insecure if I put something out there and nothing happens immediately. I could have great plans for a line of some product of some sort, but if the initual test items don't catch on, I get scared and pull back. Which, you're right, is probably counterproductive.